Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Taking A Break

My husband and I have decided to take a break from treatment for the next few months.  It was exciting to actually get the chance to "try" to have a baby this past month.  We'd never actually been able to have the opportunity before!  Since I seem to ovulate about once every four months, our chances are few and far between.  I finally got my period yesterday after being off the progesterone since Monday.  I called my RE to tell them and they said they wanted me to come in tomorrow for a baseline ultrasound before putting me on clomid.  They wanted to move straight to IUI this next cycle which surprised me - my husband and I really preferred to give plain old clomid a few more tries before breaking out the big guns.

So, we had to do some thinking ....  according to my RE's office, our insurance company won't cover any of this.    Every time I walk into his office, it costs us about $400.  At the same time, I have just accepted a residency position for next year from July 1, 2011- June 30, 2012.  If I got pregnant next month, our baby would be born in January.  We would obviously figure things out, but it would certainly be a challenge.  We felt like it didn't make sense to really, truly try to make this baby happen - spend all this money, go through all the emotional ups and downs - when we were actually in a place where waiting wouldn't be such a terrible thing.  You never know with infertility - there is always the chance that a miracle could happen over the next few months and we could conceive naturally.  I'm not holding my breathe, but who knows.

We have a big cross country move coming up in June, so the plan is to wait until July, when we're all settle in our new home and we can start talking about more serious treatment with a doctor who would be there with us for the long haul.

In the meantime, I will continue to take the metformin (although I am certain that it is doing absolutely nothing for me), monitor my temps, and cross my fingers that my body figures out how to ovulate on it's own.

3 comments:

  1. What is the reasoning behind taking the metformin? I was incorrectly prescribed that when I first started seeing an OB (before I was referred to the fertility clinic) He thought I had lean PCOS, so made me take it for 3 months straight. My RE was pretty mad when he saw that, and said it was a waste of time, and I shouldn't have been on it in the first place. Your situation might obviously be different, I'm just curious!

    You sound at peace with your decision, so I know you've made the right one. Timing wise (and $$) it makes sense. You have some exciting months coming, so I hope that helps to keep you distracted and on a healthy path xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I don't think the metformin is doing anything. I was also originally diagnosed with lean PCOS before going to an RE where they changed my diagnosis to HA. That being said, my left ovary apparently appears slightly cystic and more along the lines of PCOS so I think they don't want to completely rule it out. For me, the medication is not very expensive and I don't seem to have the stomach trouble side effects that people complain about, so there is no harm in taking it. There is also research that shows that the metformin can even help maintain a pregnancy in the early stages, so I figure it can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thinking of you and hope things are going well...

    ReplyDelete