Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Go Egg Go!

I have a ton of updates - life has been moving rapidly since my last post on Sunday, and I haven't had a chance to post. 

So, Monday I went back to the RE for a second ultrasound to see if the Clomid worked.  My left ovary is still silent, but my right ovary had one egg that was ready to go!  17mm x 21mm.  Apparently, that's pretty good! 

However, then I got the next piece of news - my husbands sperm analysis came back and while his ejaculate volume is high, his sperm concentration is low.  On top of that, he has a low proportion of sperm of normal morphology. I think both of us are in a little bit of disbelief.  I would never have suspected anything like this, so that makes it a little hard to process. 

The next plan of attack is to induce the egg to ovulate using an HCG shot followed up by Prometrium (progesterone capsules).  And if that doesn't work, they want to try IUI...

I found all of this to be incredibly overwhelming... I felt like I walked into this office two weeks ago and all of a sudden we're on a hard core infertility track.  I felt and still feel like I don't fully understand our situation.  How dire are things?  Would it be completely impossible for us to conceive on our own or are the chances just reduced.  Didn't my body just respond to the Clomid?  Isn't that a good thing?  Shouldn't we give this a chance before we break out the heavy hitters?  Monday was really stressful trying to process all of this. 

The worst part was that I had a final exam that morning and I had to run out of the doctor's office without getting the chance to have everything explained to me.  Later on in the day, I went back to the doctor's office and got the chance to sit down with one of the nurses and have things laid out for me.  This was amazing.  For the first time, I felt like someone was really explaining our situation to me.  All I want is to be able to make informed decisions. 

So, I ended up taking the HCG shot - which by the way was pretty awesome.  There was something kind of cool about seeing the egg on the ultrasound screen and then taking something to force it to ovulate.  All eyes are on this tiny little egg!  Preparing and administering the shot was pretty crazy - quite the experience.  

And now it's just been A LOT of baby making the past few days.  Setting the alarm early in the morning to fit one it.  Getting home early at night to do it again.  It's been pretty intense!  All this work for this one little egg. 

I know that I really, really should not get my hopes up.  I think I'm purely excited that there is at the very least a chance.  That's the main thing that has been missing so far - we haven't even had the CHANCE to try to get pregnant yet.  So, now there's a chance.  And that's pretty awesome. 

5 comments:

  1. Whoo!! That's awesome that you responded so well! Sorry to hear about your hubby's SA...it sucks when we have to deal with IF, and then get kicked in the gut with more obstacles to deal with. But if this cycle doesn't work, it sounds like IUI is the way to go. That should do the trick!

    I see you were able to link to my blog, great! Did you find the HA board on FertileThoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Great advice! I LOVE the forum. Although, I signed up for an account but I don't have access to anything... am I waiting for moderator approval? I wish I could post and comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I had access right away. Have you gotten in yet? Once you do, I recommend reading back...like, waaay back...and work your way up. There is so much info there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - I found your blog through Fertile Thoughts. I am rms002. It's wonderful that you responded so well to clomid! I'm on a cycle on injets and IUI - currently in the 2ww. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am defintely happy that I responded to the clomid, or at least one ovary did. The doctor didn't think I would, but it was worth a shot. It's just nice to actually have the chance. Good luck in your 2ww!

    ReplyDelete