Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

I saw an Ob/Gyn back in November when I realized that I was not going to get my period again.  He looked at my blood work and did an ultrasound of my ovaries and diagnosed me with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  He put me on a prescription of 1500mg of Metformin daily and told me that this would help regulate my period.  Obviously, I went straight to the computer and started looking up things about PCOS.  Things just didn't seem right to me...   Most women diagnosed with PCOS are over-weight, have irregular hair growth, high cholesterol, etc.  This just didn't sound like me, but it felt good to at least be trying something. 

After 3 months of metformin, I decided to get a second opinion.  I saw a reproductive endocrinologist this past Wednesday and it was great!  (Not actually great since this whole situation is still a total bummer, but great in that things seemed to make more sense).  They looked a me, my medical history, and my blood work and diagnosed me with Hypothalamic Amenorrhea.   So, back to the internet I went, and the descriptions of women with this diagnosis fit me much better - normal or low weight, history of eating disorders, psychological stress - now we're talking!  However, apparently one of my ovaries does appear to have cysts that correspond more with a PCOS diagnosis, so it could be a combination. 

The doctor put me on Clomid for 5 days.  I am on day 4 today.  He said that if my true diagnosis is HA (hypothalamic Amennorhea), then the Clomid won't have any effect.  It's still worth a shot to try since it's pretty inexpensive and easy.   The next option is hormone injections.   I'm going back Friday to see if my body responded.  

No comments:

Post a Comment